The materials that GLAPN collects are housed in the Reference Library at Oregon Historical Society, 1200 SW Park Avenue, Portland, Oregon. For more information on OHS, including library hours and admission fees for non-residents of Multnomah County, please visit the Oregon Historical Society's website.
Most of these items date from 1991-96, although there are some from the 1968-1990 period.
Items include a small amount of correspondence, political items, numerous brochures and advertisements from Gay and Lesbian businesses, numerous brochures, flyers, and news releases regarding a wide array of Gay and Lesbian political, religious, and social service organizations, and a large selection of newsletters from Gay and Lesbian organizations in the Pacific Northwest. A number of audiocassettes of Lesbian oral histories, all dating from 1978, are in the collection, but are restricted at this time. There also are several other unidentified or not well-identified cassette tapes. The vast majority of items are from Oregon, although there are some from Washington and Idaho. The bulk of Oregon material is from Portland, but also includes material from Bend, Gresham, Hillsboro, Klamath Falls, Roseburg, and Salem. Washington cities included are Seattle and Vancouver. The only Idaho city represented is Boise. There also are a small number of items from elsewhere in the country.
Folder list (See Scope and content note above)
- Folder 1 Cascade AIDS Project
? Miscellaneous brochures, flyers, and newsletters concerning education, fundraising events, social services, and public awareness concerning AIDS and HIV infection and prevention, dated 1992-1996.
? A list of individuals from the Portland area undergoing Pal Training in September and October of 1986 to assist persons with AIDS.
- Folder 2 Cathedral of Hope, Metropolitan Community Church, Dallas, Texas
A brochure describing the organization and services provided by the Cathedral of Hope and two flyers describing events at conferences in 1996.
- Folder 3 Downtown Chapel (Catholic) Gay & Lesbian Ministry
Correspondence, mission statement, and newsletter concerning the chapel's ministry, 1996.
- Folder 4 Integrity (Episcopalian)
? Newsletters St. Aelred's Messenger, 1993-1995.
? Correspondence from Integrity to Metropolitan Community Church of Portland concerning Easter, Apr. 8, 1995.
- Folder 5 Metropolitan Community Church (Portland)
? Newsletters, flyers, news/press releases, and correspondence concerning programs and events of the MCC, 1992-1995.
? Worship program for Advent Services, 1994.
? *Invitation to holy union between Tom Mohn and Steve Berwick at Metropolitan Community Church, Apr. 29, year not stated.
? Announcement for memorial service at Metropolitan Community Church for Jos‚ Montoya (1944-1996) with devotional card.
? Twentieth anniversary celebration at Metropolitan Community Church, 1996.
- Folder 6 National Association of Catholic Diocesan Lesbian & Gay Ministries
Newsletter and brochure describing the ministries' founding and history, 1996.
- Folder 7 Oregon Fellowship of Reconciliation
Newsletters, correspondence, and flyers concerning the fellowship's organizational and political activities, 1996.
- Folder 8 People of Faith Against Bigotry
Brochures and correspondence on the organization's positions, including its opposition to Ballot Measure 13, 1994-1995.
- Folder 9 Portland Community of Welcoming Congregations
Brochure regarding ecumenical conference "Welcoming the Whole Family," 1996.
- Folder 10 Potter's House (Portland)
Newsletter Tidbits and Tidings, 1994-1995.
- Folder 11 Presbyterians for Lesbian & Gay Concerns of Oregon
Newsletter, July 1993.
- Folder 12 Sts. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church (Hillsboro)
Letter with parish news, Jan. 9, 1996.
- Folder 13 Shalom Ministries Methodist (Portland)
Newsletter, Shalom to You, 1993-1996.
- Folder 14 First Unitarian Church of Portland
Two flyers for forum or service, 1994.
- Folder 15 Mel White
? Newsletters from Mel White, ca. 1996.
? Incomplete article from The Oregonian concerning Ballot Measure 13, (continuation page not included), undated.
- Folder 16 Brother to Brother (Portland)
- Folder 17 "The Unity" Catholic AIDS Ministry
? Newsletter, Unity, 1993-1996.
? Donation envelope for Catholic Charities AIDS Ministry.
- Folder 18 Ester's Pantry AIDS Food Bank (Portland)
Descriptive brochure, flyer for Halloween benefit, and sample food order form, undated.
- Folder 19 HIV Day Center
Miscellaneous flyers for events, and a newsletter, 1993-1996.
- Folder 20 International AIDS Memorials (Portland) Community AIDS Network
Flyers for annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial and Mobilization, 1994-1995.
- Folder 21 Lazarus Community
The Lazarus Newsletter, 1993-1995.
- Folder 22 The Names Project
Newsletters from local and national chapter Names Project, 1992-1996.
- Folder 23 Our House (Portland) AIDS Hospice
Brochure for restaurant specials, proceeds to Our House hospice, 1995.
- Folder 24 Project Quest
Form letter and brochure describing the project, 1995.
- Folder 25 St. Christopher House
Brochures and form letters concerning the house and its services, undated.
- Folder 26 Trinity Episcopal Church AIDS Ministry
Flyers announcing various lectures and sermons, 1994-1995.
- Folder 27 Basic Rights Oregon
*Newsletters and flyers concerning political organizing against the Oregon Citizens Alliance, 1994-1996.
- Folder 28 Beyond the Closet (Bend)
Newsletter Beyond the Closet, 1995-1996.
- Folder 29 Border Riders Motorcycle Club (Seattle)
- Folder 30 Bradley-Angle House
Brochures and flyers concerning domestic violence by Lesbian partners, undated.
- Folder 31 Bears' Organizations (Cascade Bears)
Newsletters and flyers concerning Cascade Bears organization and events, 1994-1996.
- Folder 32 [Cascade Bears, Prowl '94 Bearz 'n Roses]
Clothing patch with logo.
- Folder 33 [Cascade Bears, Ship Tour '94]
Lapel pin with unidentified members of Cascade Bears on 1994 ship tour.
- Folder 34 Chaps (Portland)
Flyers for play parties for voyeuristic and group sex activities, and a sheet of rules and guidelines, ca. 1995-1996.
- Folder 35 Coalition to End Bigotry (Salem)
Flyer for Salem's sixth annual Gay Pride, 1996.
- Flyer for organizational meeting, 1993.
- Folder 37 Frank Dixon
Flyer for Frank Dixon birthday celebration and electronic mail announcement of Dixon's candidacy for the Oregon State Senate, 1996.
- Folder 38 Audria M. Edwards Youth Scholarship Fund
Press release for benefit - 10th annual Peacock in the Park, 1996.
- Folder 39 Equity Foundation
Newsletter and flyers for Equity Foundation-sponsored events, 1993-1996.
- Folder 40 Family Camp OUT (YWCA) Portland
Letter and flyers concerning Family Camp OUT, 1994.
- Folder 41 Gay Bars - Portland
Flyers and promotionals for various Gay bars in Portland, undated.
- Folder 42 Gay Businesses - Portland
Flyers and business cards for various Gay-related or Gay-owned businesses in the Portland area. These do not necessarily identify the business as such.
- Folder 43 Gay Catalogs (Marketing)
Catalogs catering to erotica, books, and travel, 1993-1996.
- Folder 44 Gay Bowling Leagues (Portland)
Flyers concerning Gay bowling league events, 1995-1996.
- Folder 45 Gay Games
*Program for First Gay Games, San Francisco, 1982.
- Folder 46 Gays and Genetics
Information concerning the Northwestern University Department of Psychology study of male sexual orientation, specifically regarding male twins and adoptive brothers. A Gay man in Portland participated in the study. 1991-1992.
- Folder 47 Gay and Lesbian Alliance (Roseburg)
Newsletters, Gay Ol' Times, 1993.
- Folder 48 Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
Newsletter and invitation to benefit exhibition.
- Folder 49 Gay Men Together (Portland)
Information on organization meetings and Gay/Lesbian resources in Portland.
- Folder 50 Gay Theatre & Arts
Various programs for Gay-related theatre events, including benefit performances.
- Folder 51 Human Rights Campaign Fund
Various newsletters and brochures concerning HRCF activities, 1995-1996.
- Folder 52 Imperial Sovereign Rose Court (Portland)
Various flyers announcing drag events.
- Folder 53 Intercultural Communications Institute (Portland)
Brochure for The Psychology of Bigotry: Dualism vs. Diversity workshop, 1996.
- Folder 54 Keeston Lowery Lesbian & Gay Democratic Club
Newsletter, Feb. 1996.
- Folder 55 Klamath Area Lambda Association
? Newsletters, Oct. 1995-Apr. 1996.
? Copy of letter to Governor Barbara Roberts, undated.
- Folder 56 Leather Community (Portland)
Flyers for various leather events, 1994-1996.
- Folder 57 Leather Pride!
Newsletters, 1995-1996 (incomplete).
- Folder 58 Lesbian Avengers
Flyers for various organizational events, 1994.
- Folder 59 Lesbian Community Project
Various press releases, flyers, and brochures regarding the anti-violence project.
- Folder 60 Scott Lively (Oregon Citizens Alliance)
? *Letter (with original signature) from Scott Lively of the OCA regarding his book, The Pink Swastika, 1996.
? Various newsletters and brochures concerning Lively's book.
- Folder 61 Love Makes a Family, Inc.
Newsletters, correspondence, and brochures regarding same-sex parent families and related events.
- Folder 62 Measure 13
? Flyers, correspondence, and campaign material against Ballot Measure 13, 1993-1994.
? Window stickers from Ladd's Editions Bookstore opposing derogatory remarks, 1991.
- Folder 63 Metropolitan Human Rights Commission (Portland)
Bumper stickers, flyers, and newsletters concerning anti-Gay violence and discrimination, 1994-1995.
- Folder 64 Metropolitan Human Rights Commission (Portland)
Lapel button and flyers on anti-Gay discrimination, for a Not In Our Town, Either meeting in Gresham Feb. 29, 1996.
- Folder 65 Northwest Gender Alliance
? Press release, 1994.
? Newsletters, 1996.
- Folder 66 Northwest Speak Out
? Newsletters, 1995.
? Flyer for training workshop, undated.
- Folder 67 Obituaries
Newspaper obituaries and memorial cards, 1993-1996.
Scott Beach, actor.
Elwood Johnson, female impersonator.
William Kemp Shepherd, attorney, civil rights activist & cofounder of
Oregon chapter of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.
Terry Snowden, pianist and teacher.
- Folder 68 Oregon Citizens Alliance
Brochure stating the purpose of the organization, undated.
- Folder 69 Oregon Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
Promotions for film festival and individual films, 1995-1996.
- Folder 70 Outside-In
Newsletters and brochures concerning homeless youth, undated.
- Folder 71 Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (Portland)
? Newsletters, 1992-1996.
? Flyers for special events.
? National newsletter PFLAGpole, Dec. 1995-Jan. 1996.
- Folder 72 Phoenix Rising
Newsletters, flyers, brochures, and correspondence regarding Phoenix Rising services and events.
- Folder 73 Portland Area Gay and Naked (PAGAN)
PAGAN statement of purpose and announcement of organizing committee meeting, 1996.
- Folder 74 Portland Gay Men's Chorus
? Newsletters and programs for chorus.
? Ticket for Hidden Legacies show at Intermediate Theatre.
- Folder 75 Portland Metro Prime Timers
Newsletter, Apr. 1996.
- Folder 76 Portland State University Lesbian Gay and Bi Alliance
Flyer for Queer Prom, May 10, 1996.
- Folder 77 Pride Foundation (Seattle)
- Folder 78 Pride Northwest
Programs, flyers, and organizational meeting notices for Gay Pride marches, 1992-1996.
- Folder 79 Hans Brinker Presents (Queer Night-La Luna)
Newsletters and miscellaneous flyers, 1995-1996.
- Folder 80 Radical Women (Portland)
- Folder 81 Right to Privacy PAC
Newsletters, programs, and brochures for PAC activities, including the Lucille Hart dinner, 1993-1995.
- Folder 82 Rosetown Ramblers
Flyer for skating party, 1995.
- Folder 83 Radical Faeries
Flyer for Passion Dancing Naked II, 1996.
- Folder 84 Seattle Counseling Service for Sexual Minorities
Correspondence concerning services, 1995.
- Folder 85 Seattle Gay Groups (Misc.)
Various flyers and brochures for a wide variety of organizations and services in the Seattle area.
- Folder 86 Sexual Minorities
Meeting notices of Sexual Minorities Roundtable, 1992-1996.
- Folder 87 Gail Shibley
Campaign material for Gail Shibley's city council race, 1996.
- Folder 88 Triangle Productions
Program and admission ticket for The Night Larry Kramer Kissed Me, 1996.
- Folder 89 Transsexuality
? Correspondence to the Metropolitan Human Relations Commission from Michaela Kehr regarding employment of transsexuals in city government.
- Folder 90 Veterans for Human Rights (Portland)
Newsletters, flyers, and meeting agendas, 1993-1995.
- Folder 91 1987 March on Washington
Various newspaper articles about the 1987 March on Washington.
- Folder 92 Miscellaneous
Miscellaneous flyers for Pacific Northwest events, 1994.
- Folder 1 Gay Pride Parade PDX June 87
*Small album of photos of 1987 Portland Gay Pride march. Also apparently contains some personal non-march-related photos.
- Folder 2 [Lapel buttons]
*Various lapel buttons related to Gay issues, mainly political, 1991-1995.
- Folder 3 [Ribbon]
"I had a `Gay' Time in Portland Oregon" "Sandra Dee, Honorary Mayor," undated.
- Folder 4 [Condoms]
Packaged condoms with health-related or promotional information on packages.
- Folder 5 [Oregonian Article]
Unidentified Oregonian article on Right to Privacy bequest for rural workshops, undated.
- Folder 6 [Resource Guides]
*Gay/Lesbian resource guides to Gay/Lesbian-owned or friendly businesses, 1987-1996.
- Folder 7 [Anti-Gay Books]
? *The Pink Swastika, by Scott Lively and Kevin Abrams (1995)
? *Growing Up Straight, by Peter and Barbara Wyden (1968)
- Folder 8 [World AIDS Day Resource Booklet]
Resource booklet, 1994.
- Folder 9 [Posters] - OVERSIZED FOLDER
"From All Walks of Life Posters," 1991 and 1995.
Campaign for Military Service poster, n.d. (ca. 1993)
- Folder 10 [Community News - Salem]
Monthly newspaper, Aug. 1992 - July 1993.
- Folder 11 [Community News - Salem]
Monthly newspaper, Aug. 1993 - July 1994.
- Folder 12 [Community News - Salem]
Monthly newspaper, Aug. 1994 - May 1996, incomplete.
- Folder 13 [2002 - A Guide for the Next Generation]
Monthly magazine, July 1995 - May 1996.
- Folder 14 [Out & About Entertainer]
Monthly newspaper, Dec. 1995 - May 1996, incomplete.
- Folder 15 [Vancouver Voice]
Monthly newspaper, May 1993 - May 1996, incomplete.
- Folder 16 [Twist]
Biweekly newspaper, Sep. 1992 - Apr. 1994, incomplete.
- Folder 17 [The Lavender Network]
Monthly newspaper, Apr. 1990 - Dec. 1992, incomplete.
- Folder 18 [The Lavender Network]
Monthly newspaper, 1993.
- Folder 19 [The Lavender Network]
Monthly newspaper, 1994, incomplete.
- Folder 20 [The Alternative Connection]
Monthly newspaper, Aug. 1992 - Jan. 1993.
- Folder 21 [The Alternative Connection]
Monthly newspaper, Feb. 1993 - July 1993
- Folder 1 [The Alternative Connection]
Monthly newspaper, Aug. 1993 - Jan. 1994.
- Folder 2 [The Alternative Connection]
Monthly newspaper, Feb. 1994 - Mar. 1994.
- Folder 3 [Diversity]
Monthly newspaper, July 1993 - Apr. 1994.
- Folder 4 [Diversity]
Monthly newspaper, May 1994 - Dec./Jan. 1995.
- Folder 5 [Diversity]
Monthly newspaper, Feb. 1995 - Nov. 1995.
Monthly newspaper, Dec./Jan. 1996 - Apr. 1996.
- Folder 1 [Miscellaneous Audio or Video Cassettes]
? videotape, "The City Nightclub," documentary, 1996.
? audiotape, "They'll Get You Anyway" and "I'm a Teacher" (music) for No on 9, ca. 1992.
? audiotape, "The Miracle" with business card and unidentified flyer, 1995.
- Folder 2 [Miscellaneous Audio or Video Cassettes]
? audiotape, "M-K Party Held at Sarah's Dec. 30, 1972".
? audiotape, "Frank Wall Talking to Charlene Myers" n.d.
? *audiotape, "Rita Mae" - otherwise unidentified conversation with author Rita Mae Brown concerning her recently published novel, Rubyfruit Jungle. n.d. (ca. 1973-1974).
? audiotape (3 tapes), "Nancy Nixon" - oral history, n.d.
? tape, "What Is Communism/Social Security in the USSR" printed on label; "3-3/4 Abortion -30 min" and "This Tape For Gary" handwritten on label.
- Folder 2 (cont'd)
? tape, unidentified, with "Radio Free People" and its address and telephone number in New York City printed on label.
? tape, unidentified box containing tape with "Voices" on label on reel
? tape, unidentified, with "Feminist Radio Network" on box. "The Minister" on label on reel and "Kathleen Fraser, Poetry Reading Aired KBOO Dec. 2 3:30 p.m." on note in box. n.d.
? tape, unidentified, with "Feminist Radio Network" on box. "Lesbian Mothers" on label on reel and flyer about child custody talk in box. n.d. (ca. 1978).
* Items noted are in need of preservation (for historical/financial value).
P.O. Box 3646 • Portland, OR 97208-3646 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011, Gay & Lesbian Archives of the Pacific Northwest